What is a Diaper?
Diapers are an essential part of a daily care routine for both babies and elderly bed ridden individuals who are unable to access the toilet.
Diaper or a nappy is a type of underwear to enable a person to urinate or defecate without having to go to the toilet. Diapers are also used for animals. They are similar to human diapers.
Diapers are available in different sizes and types in both retail market as well as online.
What are Diapers made up of?
Diapers are made up of synthetic polymers as well as cotton. Hemp, microfiber and absorbent material provide diapers the capacity to absorb or contain waste products so that the outside clothing does not get soiled.
Some diapers also include lotions or essential oils and fragrances in order to protect the skin from rashes and mask the smell of urine or faeces.
For how long can one diaper be used?
1) A single diaper should ideally be changed every 2 – 3 hours.
2) Diapers should be checked regularly for urine or faeces.
3) A soiled diaper should be changed as soon as possible as it may cause skin rashes.
4) However, cloth diapers are reusable.
5) There have been ample debates on the duration up to which a baby should be allowed to use diapers. Some parents use diapers for their babies up to 2 – 4 years of age.
What is the variety of diapers available in the market?
- Taped diapers
- Diaper pants
- Disposable Cloth diapers
- Diapers exclusively used while swimming.
- Adult Diapers – available in both taped and pants variety
- Dog diapers – disposable, nappy pants as well as reusable.
It is invariably difficult for a person to go through all the different types of diapers available in market as well as online. On that account, this article will give you a brief insight about diapers and how to buy the right one.
Some of the best brands for diapers available in India:
1. Pampers baby diaper Pants
Pampers is an American brand which manufactures baby products. Sizes are made available from new born to extra large.
The belt and leg cuffs are soft which allows ample circulation and reduces the risk of developing a diaper rash. They come with a lotion and are mildly scented.
They have an expiry of 3 years from the date of manufacturing.
2. Mamy Poko Pants Standard Absorb and Extra Absorb Diaper
These are again available in sizes from new born 0 and new born 1 up to XXL. These are comparatively thinner and lighter in weight and have a good soakage capacity.
The diapers have a soft, wide elastic band and stretchable thigh support which prevents thigh gaps and eventually prevents leakages. Removing the diaper is as simple as putting it on.
3. Huggies wonder pants and Ultra soft pants
In this new era of diaper pants, Huggies which has been ruling the Diaper market, also came up with wonder pants in sizes from small to XXL.
It is light and decently absorbent, maintaining the good old reputation of Huggies brand. Consumers who have used this product have complained of leakages and prefer the older taped diapers over the diaper pants.
4. Himalaya Total care Pants Diapers
This is a newer brand as regards diapers. These diaper pants are extremely soft and have Indian aloe infused in the material to prevent diaper rash.
A unique feature of this diaper is that it turns green whenever baby wets the diaper. Users have claimed that Himalaya Diaper pants have been up to the mark keeping the quality in mind.
5. Premium Friends Adult diapers
This is a taped diaper variety. Available in sizes from medium to extra large. These diapers are soft and are made in a cloth like material which is not too harsh on the skin.
They also have a wetness indicator which changes color when the diaper is wet. This brand is widely popular among people who purchase diapers for their elderly parents.
6. Simple Solution Pet Diapers
Taped variety. Fits snugly around the tail. This one is specially designed for female dogs. Available from size small to extra large. They also manufacture a washable variety which can be reused. People who purchase dog diapers on a regular basis highly recommend this brand over any other.
Most of the diapers come in different packages so that customers can purchase just the right amount of diapers they need.
Diapers in almost all brands come in pant variety as these are easier to use and dispose. Although, diaper brands display a dryness capacity of up to 10 to 12 hours, it is essential to change them every 3 hours. They must never be flushed inside the toilet.
Best Baby Diaper Disposable Bag
It is very important to dispose the used diaper in a clean and hygienic way. Wrapping in newspaper or polythene is not always good and disposing diapers directly in a dustbin can invite a lot of disease carriers.
These disposable bags are eco-friendly and can be used to dispose other sanitary pads and contraceptives also.
Best Baby Wet Wipes
These baby wet wipes are wet just to the right amount and are cheaper as compared to other brands. Fragrance is good plus they have Aloe Vera extracts which give cooling and soothing effect to baby’s skin.
Disadvantages of diaper use:
1) In case of adults, diaper rash has to be watched out for taken care of immediately as these tend to develop into bed sores or pressure sores.
2) Diapers, although almost a necessity, aren’t priced very reasonably.
3) Diapers are not environmental friendly. A lot of synthetic material goes into making of diapers.
4) Since diapers are available in larger sizes, their prolonged use is often associated with higher incidence of bed wetting among children. Therefore toilet training may become difficult.
I hope this article will give you a better understanding of the large variety of diapers available and which one to choose among them.