For a long time, I didn’t realize the importance of the right luggage bag which is why I would often end up taking a duffle bag on a 1-day trip or a backpack on a 1-month trip. Needless to say, this was a horrible idea because I would always have issues carrying my luggage while traveling around.
But after a few failed attempts, I finally realized that different trips require different luggage bags. And it is important to have that perfect luggage bag if you want your trip to go smoothly and conveniently.
Yes, choosing a luggage bag can be complex but we have prepared this guide to help you tackle this issue easily. Once you are done with this guide, you will be able to choose the best-suited luggage bag for your trips quite efficiently.
Tips for Choosing the Perfect Luggage Bag
Make sure that you follow the below tips when finding the perfect luggage bag for yourself.
Consider the Duration and Type of Travel
Before you actually start looking at the luggage bags, you need to determine the length and the type of travel. If you are going for a normal weekend trip, then you don’t need a big luggage bag for your stuff. A small backpack or duffle bag would do.
However, if you are going on a longer trip then you might need a suitcase or a bigger backpack. Also, your luggage bag greatly depends on the kind of trip that you are going on. For hiking/camping trips, a backpack which can hold your tent and hiking gear is advisable. But for a trip to a hotel, you can take a rolling suitcase for added convenience.
Consider your Transportation Mode
Next, you need to determine the kind of transportation that you are going to take on your trip. If most of your time would be spent on walking or changing multiple transportation modes, then a light carry-on or a rolling bag would be great.
However, if you aren’t going to be on a move constantly, then you can simply take your suitcase with you.
Choose the Right Sized Luggage Bag
Another important thing to consider is the size of your luggage bag. If you are going for longer trips then you might need a big luggage bag but for a weekend trip, a light carry-on is good enough. Also, you have to keep in mind the activities that you are likely to do on your trip.
For people who would be camping/trekking, a lot of camping equipment will take space in your luggage bag. But if you are going for a beach trip, then a small bag will be more than enough.
Decide Between a Hard and a Soft Bag
When looking for the perfect bag, you also need to decide between a hard-shell and a soft-shell bag. A hard-shell bag is made out of materials like polycarbonate and is sturdier and more durable. However, it might not be suitable for a carry-on, especially if you are traveling on a flight.
A soft-bag will be more convenient to store in the overhead compartment and will also be lighter. But they are not good at protecting any fragile item and can easily tear if made out of poor quality material.
Consider the Right Luggage Bag Type for Yourself
Once you have decided on your needs and requirements for the luggage bag, you can select the perfect luggage style for yourself. Ideally, there are four types of luggage bags available in the market: Small Carry-Ons/Duffle Bags, Rolling Suitcases, Backpacks, and Travel Packs.
Small Carry-On or Duffle Bags
For those perfect weekend trips, a small carry-on or a duffle bag will actually be a great choice. These luggage bags are big enough to hold your weekend trip requirements and don’t weigh a lot too. They are especially good for international trips as you can keep it in your overhead compartment and don’t have to worry about it getting lost on the way.
As the name suggests, a rolling suitcase comes with wheels which make it easy and convenient to move it around. This type of luggage bag is perfect if you are on a vacation and are going to be traveling on the flights and majorly staying in hotels. You can fit all your items in it with ease and can simply roll it to move it from one destination to another.
If you are looking for a luggage bag for hiking, trekking, camping, etc. trips then a backpack or a rucksack would be more useful to you. They are usually lightweight and include several compartments and clips to attach your equipment. And since they are ideally top loading, you don’t have to worry about your stuff accidentally slipping out of your bag while trekking too.
One of the best alternatives to a suitcase or a backpack is a travel pack. This type of luggage resembles a backpack but is loaded from the front and is great for long trips. It is especially good if you are going to places where rolling your suitcase is going to pose a great issue.
Best Luggage Bags to Choose From
We have listed down a few of the best luggage bags for you to choose from. Make sure that you use the above tips in selecting the perfect bag for yourself.
1 American Tourister Cabin Luggage
1) This is the best luggage bag currently available on the market and is perfect for all those vacations that you have planned with your friends/family.
2) Built out of good-quality polycarbonate and weighing just 2.6 kg, this luggage bag is perfect for flight check-ins.
3) It also features 4 wheels which makes it easy to carry it around while the number lock system makes it highly secure to use.
4) With its spacious double compartment, you can carry as much as you want and can easily pack for a long trip to any place.
- Durable and Scratch-Free Exterior
- 2 Spacious Compartments
- Wheels for easy portability
- Difficulty in opening the number lock
2 POLE STAR “TREK 44 Lt Blue grey Rucksack I Hiking backpack
1) I might be slightly partial to this luggage bag as I own a backpack myself but this is really a handy and convenient bag for traveling.
2) This backpack is built out of water-resistant fabric which is strong and durable.
3) This is why this bag is perfect for hiking/trekking trips and is large enough to fit all the required items as well.
4) It also features adjustable straps which ensure even weight distribution and a separate bottle pocket to store your bottle securely while traveling.
5) And the drawstring closure ensures secure storage of your belongings too.
- Adjustable straps
- Drawstring closure and Bottle Pocket
- Straps can get easily damaged if not careful
Check Price : Amazon
3 American Tourister Nylon 55 cms Blue Travel Duffle
1) For people looking for a luggage bag which can be taken on a small weekend trip, American Tourister Duffle Bag is a perfect choice.
2) It is slightly expensive but a durable and long-lasting luggage bag to fit all your weekend essentials.
3) Built out of a nylon material, this bag is durable yet lightweight and can be used by all.
4) It has a spacious main compartment along with multiple side and front pockets to store all your travel items.
- Durable and Strong
- Spacious compartment
- Multiple front and side pockets
4 AmazonBasics 46 Ltrs Carry-On Travel Backpack
1) Yet another great luggage bag, especially for people who travel a lot, AmazonBasics Travel Backpack can store your 15 days’ worth clothes with great ease.
2) This luggage bag is built out of polyester which makes it durable and lightweight at the same time.
3) And, you get a spacious main compartment along with a laptop sleeve and an expansion zipper.
4) It also features easily-removable padded shoulder straps, waist belt, etc. for convenience and comfort.
- Multiple compartments
- Padded Shoulder Straps and Waist Belts
Check Price : Amazon
5 Targus TBR021 15.6-inch Rolling Laptop and Overnighter Case
Ideal for business travel, Targus Rolling Overnighter Case is slightly expensive but sufficient to hold a pair of clothes along with your laptop.
It can easily fit in an overhead compartment and is built out of polyester which makes it lightweight yet durable.
It is spacious and has a main compartment with cross straps and lockable pullers to keep your items secure and safe.
The smooth-gliding skate wheels make it easy and convenient to roll the luggage bag and the telescoping handle makes it easy to navigate around.
- Small and Portable
- Spacious Compartment
- Smooth-gliding wheels
- Slightly expensive
6 The Clownfish Ambiance Duffle Travel Bag
1) This light travel bag is made out of premium leatherette material along with a polypropylene lining.
2) With 20 ltr capacity, this duffle bag is perfect for your weekend adventures and can be conveniently collapsed and stored when not in use.
3) It also features a scratch-proof and water-resistant surface and includes a padded handle and adjustable shoulder straps for easy mobility.
4) Also, the multiple pockets along with the main compartment allow you to store your accessories with great ease.
- Waterproof and Scratch-proof
- Adjustable shoulder straps
- Multiple pockets
- Handles not properly positioned
7 Quechua Arpenaz Hiking Backpack
1) One of the most budget-friendly luggage bags that you can take along on your hiking/trekking trips is Quechua Arpenaz Hiking Backpack.
2) With a capacity of 10L, this is an ideal backpack to take on 1-day adventures.
3) Since it is made out of nylon, it is lightweight and durable and perfect to carry all your hiking essentials.
4) Trust me, you can take this backpack for a weekend trip or a day tour and always be travel ready with it.
- Durable and Lightweight
- Perfect for Small Trips
- Extremely small in size
- Not suitable for more than 2 days trip
8 American Tourister Crete Polyester 77 cms Black Softsided Check-in Luggage
1) Another favorite of mine, American Tourister Crete Polyester Luggage bag is perfect for long trips with family and friends.
2) This trolley bag is made out of polyester which makes it soft yet durable and resistant to wear and tear on the journeys.
3) With this luggage bag, you get 2 zippered front pockets to keep your chargers, accessories, etc. along with a spacious expandable main compartment.
4) Also, the four 360 – degree rotational wheels make it highly easy and convenient to carry around this bag on your travels.
- Durable and Sturdy
- Expandable main compartment
- 360-degree rotational wheels
- Extremely expensive
9 Okayji Fabric Easy Carry-on Travel Handbag
1) If you are looking for a small carry-on for small trips then Okayji Carry-On Luggage Bag will certainly be the perfect choice for you.
2) Apart from being extremely affordable, this carry-on bag is large enough to keep your excess luggage or just a pair of clothes for the weekend.
3) It has a waterproof exterior so you can use it when it is raining too and can easily fold it for storage when not in use.
4) It is also lightweight and stylish and features multiple pockets to keep your travel accessories.
5) The 2 handle straps make it convenient to use and highly portable too.
- Small and lightweight
- Extremely Cheap
- Easily damaged
Check Price : Amazon
10 Safari Polycarbonate 56 Ltrs Black Hardsided Carry On
1) Last, but not the least, we have the Safari hardsided carry on which is made out of durable polycarbonate material.
2) This luggage bag is water and wear resistant along with being lightweight which makes it perfect for your leisure vacations.
3) It features a trolley system along with four 360-degrees rotational wheels for easy movement and the combination lock makes it safe and secure to use.
4) You have a main compartment which is quite spacious along with a garment compartment to store your used/dirty clothes.
- Durable and lightweight
- Trolley system
- 360-degrees rotational wheels
- Combination lock
- Slightly costly
Check Price : Amazon